SOCAP Australia and Lifeline present this course in partnership to help complaint handlers, managers and other consumer affairs professionals to recognise, respond and refer when working with someone, or dealing with a consumer who has a mental health issue and check their safety.
As a complaint handler you will also learn how to identify individuals who are at risk of self-harm, tools and techniques to handle difficult situations and how to tend to the needs of consumers with mental health issues
- Recognise what is Mental Illness?
- Impact and prevalence of mental illness in Australia and how this affects consumers
- Mental health and the consumer experience
- The impact on complaint handlers and front-line customer service staff in dealing with complaints and threats of self-harm from consumers
- Treatments for mental illness
- Appropriate referrals and how to make a referral
- Interacting with peers and consumers with mental illness
- Appropriate language and terminology
- How to listen and provide support
- Active listening skills
- Summarising skills
- Open and Closed Questioning skills
- Check safety, including asking about suicide
- Tips and tools for self-care
Who Should Attend
Team leaders, managers, supervisors, complaint handlers, customer care agents and consumer affairs professionals. This particular training course will benefit front line complaint handlers in a high volume/high stress complaints environment.