Applications are now open for the 2019-20 SOCAP Australia John Wood Scholarship.
The scholarship is a 12-month program open to all Australian and New Zealand residents, with less than 24 months employment in the consumer affairs industry, or who are studying in this field with the aim of entering the profession.
The scholarship aims to encourage growth in consumer affairs practitioners and awareness of the value of the roles within this professional services field, through quality professional development training, certification of skills through the SOCAP Complaints Professional Certification Scheme and mentoring by consumer affairs and complaints and customer care industry leaders in Australia and New Zealand.
To provide continuing professional development for the recipient, the scholarship includes SOCAP membership, industry mentoring and professional training through to Complaints Professional Certification, as well as attendance at relevant SOCAP events.
- SOCAP Australia Membership – 12 month SOCAP Australia Individual Membership with additional benefits including:
– Consumer Directions Magazine
– Member access to SOCAP website
– Invitation to Member-only Communities of Practice
– Invitation to Member-only Working Parties
– Invitation to Complaint and Customer Insights Forum
- SOCAP Complaints Professional Certification Scheme Application
and Certification (pending successful assessment) including:
-SOCAP Complaints Professional Certification Scheme application fee
-Scheme compulsory units including:
– Customer Service and Complaint Management 101
– Ethics for Complaint Handling
– Supervisor’s Reference(if unable to be attained by Employer)
– SOCAP Professional Development programs as required to attain CPD points to reach initial 100 point criteria
- SOCAP Symposium Attendance – in the year of the awarded scholarship only
– Scholar to present at Symposium on work they have achieved during scholarship.
- Industry Leaders Mentoring including includes four tailored mentoring sessions with one SOCAP Board member.
12 months, effective from August 2019 to August 2020.
All application submissions must be made online via the link above. All questions in the submission form must be completed for your submission to be accepted.
Use the Apply Now button to start your application.
Applications are open from 1 March 2019 and close 30 June 2019 with judging to commence from 20 July 2019.
The John Wood Scholarship is named in honour of former SOCAP President and champion of freedom of information for consumers. John Wood was a former Director of the Federal Bureau of Consumer Affairs and Deputy Commonwealth Ombudsman.
Terms and conditions
ELIGIBILITY: All applicants working, or studying to enter work in the complaints handling, consumer affairs and customer care professional services and meet the eligibility criteria are encouraged to apply. Applications will be accepted from Australia and New Zealand residents, and prior or current membership of SOCAP Australia for the applicant, or their employer, if working, is not a prerequisite or required for application. Applicants must have less than 24 months experience (either consecutive or accumulative) in the consumer affairs, complaint handling and customer care profession. Successful John Wood Scholars may not reapply for a second or additional term of scholarship, even if their period of employment remains under the 24 month eligibility level. Applicants must be Australian or New Zealand residents. SUBMISSIONS AND JUDGING PANEL: Applicants may be asked to attend interview/s with the John Wood Scholarship Judging Panel as part of their application process (at applicant’s own expense). All applicants will be notified regarding the outcome of their application. If you are dissatisfied with the application process or the outcome of your application, you may apply in writing to SOCAP Australia’s Board for a review of your application. If you are unsuccessful in your application for the scholarship in 2019, you are encouraged to reapply, if circumstances and eligibility criteria apply. The judging panel includes three SOCAP representatives and one Industry independent representative. The individual representative may change each year. APPLICATION DEADLINE: Applications are open from 1 March 2019 and close 30 June 2019 with judging to commence from 20 July 2019. Applications received after 30 June 2019 will not be able to be considered.