Get your skills recognised through the SOCAP Complaints Professional Certification Scheme, a national certification scheme for complaints and consumer affairs practitioners and businesses working in customer care.
SOCAP Complaints Professional Certification sets the quality standard to complaints management from a human, rather than process perspective and acknowledges that a unique set of skills and competencies are required to manage complaints and the people who work in this profession are specialist practitioners.
National recognition of these unique professional skills increases the value of the role of consumer affairs professionals in businesses and for individuals, enhances your career incentives.
All complaint professionals and SOCAP members are eligible for certification.
On certification, you will be recognised as a certified SOCAP Australia Complaint Professional and can use the post nominal, SOCAP CP.
A SOCAP CP has met:
- a nationally recognised level of skills and competencies matched to the Australian Competency and Ethical Framework for Complaint Handlers
- a quality of service delivery
- guidelines of Ethical practice for complaint handlers
- and continues to meet professional development targets
Certification must be renewed every two years, through continuing professional development (CPD).
Certification is based on CPD and practical demonstration of workplace skills.
The Certification Scheme Handbook has more information on how to apply, benefits for your career, your business and your industry.
What do I need to get certified?
- 100 CPD points from attending professional development training programs and conferences from SOCAP or other providers including:
- SOCAP Customer Service and Complaints Handling 101 program
- Ethics for Complaints Handlers program
- Your Supervisor’s Reference demonstrating your skills in your workplace
How do I register for certification?
- Download the SOCAP Australia CP Certification Application Form below under Forms
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org to register your interest or would like further information on how to start your certification
- Email email@example.com to book in to the Ethics for Complaint Handlers program, or the Customer Service and Complaint Handling 101 program or book online from the SOCAP training calendar to start your certification compulsory units.
Certification At a Glance
Q. How do I get certified? A. You must meet competencies identified in the SOCAP Framework and attain 100 certification points credited from training courses, conferences, supervisor reference, on-the-job- training, mentoring, literature reading, community activities, and peer references.
Q. How long does certification last? A. Certification must be renewed every two years.
Q. Do I have to be a SOCAP member? A. Once certified you can use the post nominal SOCAP CP, which reflects certification and membership of SOCAP Australia.
Q. What makes up 100 credit points? A. You must attain 100 credit points taken from A, B, and C category points. Category A (40 points each): Supervisor reference; SOCAP training courses; SOCAP conferences; SOCAP Australia Ethics for Complaints Handlers; Training courses and conferences matched to the Australian Competency and Ethical Framework for Professional Complaint Handling provided by external provider, if approved by SOCAP Australia. Category B (20 points each): On the job training; Mentoring; In-house training; SOCAP Community of Practice attendance. Category C (10 points each): Complaint/Consumer Affairs Literature; Community activities; Online Community activities; Peer Reference (For those with more than 12 months experience)
Q. Are there compulsory units? A. Yes. If you have less than 12 months experience: Customer Service and Complaint Management 101 Course; If you have more than 12 months experience: Ethics for Complaint Handlers Course.
Q. How much does it cost? A. $165 per application. Additional fees for compulsory units may apply and membership to SOCAP Australia may also apply.
Forms – Registration forms for SOCAP Complaints Professional Certification